We are a print-first free publication, which means we live and die based upon the advertising in the print edition that pays for our local news gathering. We pride ourselves on putting out a quality newspaper every two weeks and maintaining a lively online and social media presence. Our rates are among the lowest in the Hampton Roads market. Our goal is to pay for local journalism, including coverage of local government, the agriculture industry and our voter guides.
We hope you will consider advertising with us to reach a targeted, local audience that is most likely to do business here. Of course, you do not need to own a business to advertise.
We have an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 readers per month. Our papers generally are distributed in southern Virginia Beach at businesses, restaurants, libraries, community centers, congregations and the city municipal center. We also have a following in Knotts Island, N.C., and we distribute a limited number of papers in the Town Center, Thalia and Oceanfront areas.
Ours are among the lowest advertising rates in the area. Unlike other publications, we do not charge a set up fee for initial ad designs, but we do charge a $10 fee for stock art we purchase for you, which covers our licensing cost. We are only able to use provided imagery or licensed stock art in our publication. We can discuss helping you with complex ads that change regularly, but please understand this is a community newspaper and not a professional design firm.
The publisher reserves the right to reject advertising for any reason. Please note that there are some specific types of ads we won’t run or carry, including:
- Personal attacks on individuals or groups of people.
- “Advertorial” content that contains a byline or bylines or mimics standard editorial design in print or online. We publish original journalism, and we do not want to confuse or mislead readers by presenting marketing content as news. This includes so-called “sponsored” content. We simply will not publish this, though we sometimes run columns by representatives of organizations that we believe to have news or informational value to our readers. These are clearly marked as opinion and edited as we edit any other content from a contributor.
- Violent or disturbing imagery.
- Sexually explicit or demeaning content.
- Racially or ethnically offensive language and visuals.
- Questionable or unproven medical claims or products with uncertain regulatory standards, including advertising for CBD products.
- Political advertising without legally required disclaimers or unclear sources for content and authorship of the ad.
- Political advertising that includes personal attacks or either questionable or false claims.
- Ads formatted to appear upside down or sideways.
Your investment in our work helps you reach engaged citizens.
It also helps us shine a light on goings on in our communities.