THE INDEPENDENT NEWS
Because we see deep division and language that has fueled a rise in hateful harassment — even violence — The Independent News posed a question to community leaders, writers and artists.
What can we do in the coming New Year to help build inclusive communities amid a time of polarization?
A number of people graciously responded, each in their own way. The editor is grateful for each thought, essay or artistic work first published in the Friday, Dec. 15 print edition.
These reflections have been shared online this past week, and links to each appear below. If you would like to share your own thoughts, respond to this project or even complain, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Toward a better 2018 for all of us. Thank you for reading and supporting our community newspaper.
Here are the updated links to the essays and creative work:
- Sunday, Dec. 31 — An essay by Raj Islam, chairperson of the Virginia Beach Human Rights Commission
- Monday, Jan. 1 — An essay by William D. Sessoms Jr., the mayor of Virginia Beach
- Monday, Jan. 1 — An essay by Sgt. Michele Meister, head of the Virginia Beach Police Department special victims unit and the department’s LGBT liaison
- Monday, Jan. 1 — An essay by Dr. Scott D. Miller, president of Virginia Wesleyan University
- Tuesday, Jan. 2 — An essay by the Rev. David Ryu, lead pastor of Charity United Methodist Church
- Tuesday, Jan. 2 — A poem by Dr. Luisa A. Igloria, professor of English at Old Dominion University
- Wednesday, Jan. 3 — Photography by Vicki Cronis-Nohe
- Wednesday, Jan. 3 — An essay by Barbara Henley, who represents the Princess Anne District on the Virginia Beach City Council
- Wednesday, Jan. 3 — An essay by Dr. Amelia Ross-Hammond, founder of the African American Cultural Center of Virginia Beach
- Thursday, Jan. 4 — An essay by Rabbi Israel Zoberman, founding rabbi of Congregation Beth Chaverim
- Thursday, Jan. 4 — An essay by Chona Santander O’Galvin, a contributor to The Independent News
- Thursday, Jan. 4 — An essay by Barry D. Knight, who represents the 81st District in the Virginia House of Delegates
- Friday, Jan. 5 — An essay by Dr. Alex Bergren, principal of Princess Anne Middle School
© 2017 Pungo Publishing Co., LLC